A couple weeks ago, during the LA Times Hero Complex Film Festival, the marketing people at Marvel released a limited-edition retro poster for Captain America: The First Avenger, and I absolutely loved it. Taking advantage of the missed opportunity by X-Men: First Class earlier this summer, it was a ridiculously cool design and it’s a true shame it won’t be getting spread around much. Now Marvel has released a new one-sheet and, sadly, it’s lacking that awesome retro vibe.
The new artwork is cool and uber-patriotic (as it should be) but it’s just not as cool as it could be. What is interesting is that it’s bordering that very fine line between way too much Photoshop and a hand-drawn appearance, but it’s falling more on the wrong side. It’s not a terrible poster, but it also can’t be their best idea.
Check out the one-sheet below or click it to see all the incredible detail in the ultra-high-res version.
The best poster for Captain America: The First Avenger is one you won’t be seeing in theaters. As part of the LA Times Hero Complex Film Festival over the weekend, Marvel Studios printed 100 copies of a vintage-inspired Cap poster to give away to the audience on hand for the Sunday Marvel presentation. It’s designed like a poster for Casablanca or an old World War II movie, and much like this classic comic book cover, features Cap punching Hitler in the face. We can only hope Chris Evans gets to do the same thing in the actual movie. Check out the poster below.
- New Poster for CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER (collider.com)
- New CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER poster (geektyrant.com)
- ‘Captain America: The First Avenger’ crew posters will be prize at Hero Complex Film Festival (herocomplex.latimes.com)
- Upper Deck Launches Marvel’s Captain America: The First Avenger Movie Trading Card Set (wickedcoolcomics.wordpress.com)
- Incredibly Cool Retro CAPTAIN AMERICA Poster for Cast & Crew of the Film (geektyrant.com)